Monday, July 26, 2004

mind your manners

Another Monday, another exam.  I returned to Cambridge last night via the Delta Shuttle (no bus for me for a while).  I thought the place would be unbelievably crowded given that the Democratic National Convention started today, but the airport was virtually deserted.  No complaints, empty flights are necessarily better than full flights.
 
This morning started off nicely, the alarm woke me up and the radio station was playing Sean Paul.  I love Sean Paul.  I want to marry Sean da Paul.  Some of you know of my love affair with this man.  Actually, a while ago a friend of mine and I were discussing how when Sean Paul and I get married, we are going to register at Sean John and Fubu.  Yeah. But then I remembered I have a test today.  Sigh.  I arrived about 15 minutes before the exam started and did some last minute reviewing.  But then the girls sitting behind me started a  bizarre conversation.  

Girl #1:
So, I've been having some issues because of the pill.

Girl #2:
Really?  Are you on the new one that gives you four periods?

Girl #1:
Yeah, I'm having hot flashes.  I'm having one right now, it's so hot.  I hate this.  My hormones are all over the place.

Girl #2:
That sucks.  My mom is having those because of menopause (and laughs)

Girl #1:
Seriously, ugh, and my cramps.  It's so hot! (proceeds to remove sweatshirt)

Sophia's Mind:
What the hell is wrong with these people?



I mean, it's fine for these two friends to have a personal conversation.  But there were several people sitting in the same row or very close to them (like me), and neither girl attempted to lower her voice at all.  It was almost as if they raised their voices to make a bit of a scene.  A really stupid scene, in my opinion.

I am a big stickler for politeness and *appropriate* conversation.  There is a time and a place for everything.   Rudeness and inappropriate conversation or comments, even from friends, do not sit well with me.   "Please" and "Thank You" are phrases that are grossly underutilized.

Last week I was walking down a hallway and went through a set of doors.  I noticed the girl behind me had a stack of books in her hand, so I waited and held the door open for her.  She literally walked through as if it were my job to prop it open for her.  No smile or acknowledgement.  Is that a very minor, everyday experience that I am magnifying?  For sure.  But still, it is behavior like that I can characterize as my absolute primary pet peeve. 

Maybe I am a bit too Ms. Manners, but it often surprises me when people lack both common sense and social graces.   At Harvard, we had a core curriculum, which mandates a series of courses that must be completed prior to graduation.  And I am not being facetious when I say that I have often thought that a requirement of a class in Socially Acceptable Behavior would be a good idea.   Especially in pre-med courses; where are these people going to get their bedside manners if they cannot even act normal in non-critical situations? 

No comments: