Tuesday, August 23, 2005

me llamo sophia

Names are funny things. Your name is so personal, it virtually defines your identity. But you hardly ever use your own name, unless introducing yourself. And your friends and family often come up with nicknames for you as it is.

As I mentioned earlier, I was named after Sophia Loren. My parents were also really big Dynasty fans, so I'm just counting my lucky stars that I wasn't named "Crystal"or "Alexis." Those names are fine, I just think that Sophia bridges the East-West name gap quite well. Alexis, not so much.

Pet Peeves: Do not call me Sophie. Ever. I'm not French. Or a poodle. Don't spell my name with an f. I don't like it. It's not how I spell it. And it's asymmetrical. See? Sofia vs. Sophia. The f just sticks out in the middle. In Sophia, the p and the h balance each other. Come on, you know there had to be a geeky reason behind my preference.

Nicknames I've had: Sofu Tofu (as a kid). Michael Jackson (I wasn't kidding about this). Gandhi (elementary school kids can be mean. And racist! I am still floored that a nine year old had the capacity to make such a slur. Great parental influence). Soph. Sophs. Sophster. Sopher Topher. Hophia (Don't ask. Funny at the time. Not funny anymore).

I started thinking about names and nicknames this morning as I was writing an e-mail to a friend. E-mail has such an interesting etiquette to it. I do not use capital letters when writing to friends. I usually sign off "Soph" ... or when I'm especially lazy "S." When it's a formal e-mail, capital letters and I sign off "Sophia." It feels a little forced. How strange is it when your own name feels forced?

This made me recall my days in finance. In the business world, it's standard practice to answer your phone with your name. I.E., the phone would ring and I'd answer by saying "Sophia V-----." (My blog has to date avoided my last name. I like mystery.) Now that I'm out of that environment, it strikes me as such an odd system. Why couldn't I just answer "Hello?" Somehow stating your name asserts your presence and authority. I would also try and lower the register of my voice to sound professional. But all that did was make it sound like you dialed a cheap 1-900 number. And got some old washed out broad on the phone. Like Alexis Carrington Colby.

Man that show rocked.

No comments: