Friday, August 20, 2004

phase 1: complete

I'm done with organic chemistry! Yay! Want to know a totally lame fact? I kinda miss it, and I'm excited to go back to take more courses this year. I didn't fully appreciate this all those years ago, but school, and especially science, definitely has its merits. Such as the fact that it's very linear - there are rules, and you apply those rules to come up with an answer. And you can support your conclusions with proven facts!

I am so literal minded; give me the box and I will be more than happy to think inside of it, thank you very much. One of the many reasons I finally realized I am not very well suited for the Business World. That and the whole wearing suits thing (get it? 'well suited' ... aha. Oh whaddya know you bunch of ...) I'm 5'2". I had to shop in the petite department for suits. With shoulder pads. During my tenure as a corporate bidness-womyn I resembled the shortest, grandmotherly-esque football player ever.

But back to life, back to reality. The final was more difficult than I anticipated. And they pulled the sneakiest trick out of the book. They asked a question on literally was what we learned the last day of class. There were really no homework problems on it, and none of the old practice exams ever referenced this material, so I made a deliberate choice not to study it while preparing. I should've known. Oh well. I was tempted to write "you got me sucka's!" on my exam paper but refrained. Although, I'm sure they would've enjoyed that.

I had one other mini-meltdown. One question totally stumped me. The actual exam didn't offer much room to scribble, so I used a scratch sheet of paper to work on. I copied the problem down and worked for a good 15 or 20 minutes before giving up and moving on. After about an hour I returned to the problem, and it seemed a bit more clear. I double checked. And nearly slapped myself I felt so stupid. I copied it down wrong the first time around. I shifted a few bonds to the wrong places and attempted to do a question that was totally made up. Whoops. Luckily it worked out, but still, I felt pretty dumb.

After class I booked it home, packed and cleaned up the apartment before heading home. Even though my brother had visited me last week and taken most of my stuff back with him, there was quite a lot remaining. Why is it that even if you think you don't have much stuff, once you start to pack it you stand back and wonder "how the heck did this crap become SO MUCH CRAP?" It also happened that I was able to squeeze everything I had into my three bags such that the zippers were almost bursting on each bag.

In retrospect I should have indulged and taken a cab to the airport and flown home. But no, the $10 was calling my name (guju ... what's my mother-f*ckin name, guju). So yes, I hauled butt to the train station and then to the Chinatown bus.

What did I realize halfway through my walk to the train station? Damn this crap is way too heavy for me to hold. Seriously. My backpack was so stuffed I was leaned over at a good 45 degree angle, Quasimodo style. My bags were so heavy on my shoulders that I actually chafed them and they are red (not the wisest idea to wear a tank-top; hindsight is indeed 20/20).

But somehow I made it. I'm paying the price today (which I can do, since I only spent $10!). But I'm in pain. These will be the stories I tell my kids one day. Akin to the "I only had one shoe and had to walk 3 miles in mosquito infested waters to school everyday" stories of my parents. My story will be "I carried my backpack on my own back every day. It was heavy and gave me back pain."

Because our kids will either a) have robots to carry everything for them; b) have no need for books because they can have chips implanted in their brains so that they can reference material at their command or c) use those damn roller backpack things. I hate those things. Suitcases I understand. But backpacks? Give me a break.

No comments: