Sunday, December 12, 2004

the da vinci miracle

My Mom just read the Da Vinci Code. This is cause for celebration. It is the first real novel that my mother has read in probably over 20 years! I am so excited for her. Please don't get me wrong; my mom is an extremely intelligent woman. However, her time schedule and committments didn't give her much time to actually read books. I think she gave up on such luxuries when she had, as she says 'those damn kids.' I gave her a copy of the book months ago, and continually nagged her to read it. She lugged it around with her places, but she didn't really make much progress. Until this weekend. Suddenly she decided to pick it up and she discovered what most pop culture fiends learned months ago: once you pick up The Da Vinci Code, you can't put it down.

Saturday afternoon I was feeling a bit sleepy, and I ended up taking a nap when I should've been studying. I woke up tired and groggy, but glad to be home where I am used to being spoiled. "Mom... I'm hungry!" I yelled out, brat that I am.

"Wait until I finish a few more chapters!" she yelled back. Well then. Mr. Langdon, I presume. You have stolen my mother. Please return her forthwith. (Isn't forthwith a great word? Highly underutilized).

So yes, go mom! I'm hoping to compile a reading list for her so she can get back in the habit. Nothing too froofy or deep though - she likes mysteries, as she has demonstrated. Next in line is probably Angels and Demons. After that maybe a little V.C. Andrews. No, I'm being facetious. I would never subject anyone to that smut. I can't believe I got away with reading that nonsense when I was younger. It's about incest! Sitting right on my bookshelf next to Sweet Valley High and The Babysitters' Club ... how insidious.

I presume this is probably getting slightly redundant, but I have yet another Chinatown bus story to share with you all. The bus has gotten so popular that they run almost every half-hour on weekends. And they outsource some buses to independent contractors. Normally the bus drivers are Chinese and the buses have the Fung Wah or Lucky Star logos emblazoned on the sides. Now a few buses will have non-Chinese drivers and random logos.

I learned today that the independent drivers aren't as friendly as the Chinese drivers. The driver today left three people at the rest stop. People on the bus kept saying "You left people behind!" He finally stopped just ahead of the rest stop exit, and from the window we could see three people running to catch the bus. It doesn't seem so bad, yet ... right? The three people left behind were two elderly ladies and a young child traveling with them. Seriously! The bus was absolutely full, so the driver knew people had been left behind because there were 3 empty seats. The Chinese drivers would never do that; they always take count and make sure they haven't forgotten anyone. Man oh man, those poor ladies. They finally got onto the bus, but not without a bit of a scare.

The drive after that proceeded smoothly. I rode the T back to Harvard. A man and a woman were sitting across from me, chatting. I recognized them from the bus. At Park Street, the woman got up to exit, and said "Ok, this is my stop. I'll talk to you soon!" and gave the man with her a hug. He hugged her back. As she was stepping out of the door, she looked back and said "It was nice meeting you!"

Obviously I don't know the history behind their encounter, but I still found it a little strange. A hug to say goodbye to a new friend ... that you just met on the bus. I guess that's sweet (though a little too chummy, even for me.) But I suppose I'd rather have her as a friend, compared to the mean old bus driver.

Unfortunately there are some issues with the TV in my apartment ... as in there is no longer one here. No Desperate Housewives for me tonight! Probably serves me right. I have a midterm tomorrow that I am not fully prepared for.

No comments: