Thursday, December 08, 2005

ethnocentric

I think I am too Indian for my own good.

This afternoon, I saw the following advertisement atop a taxicab for Killian's Irish Red Beer:




At first glance, I didn't understand the advertisement. I said to myself "What's Desi Red? Are they advertising to Indians? Desi Red? Is it an Indian beer? What does Red have to do with Desi?"

My brain was so warped and focused on something saying "Desi" that I did not even register the word "DESIRED." And I didn't get the play on Killian's RED being desiRED.

Desi Red. What has become of me? Excuse me, as I go buy my ticket to go right back on the boat where I belong.

2 comments:

Scorps1027 said...

okay seriously, i read it the SAME way you did! it's sad to think that that's the best slogan some overpaid ad exec. could come up with!

Anonymous said...

Sophia - I saw that weeks ago and I've been thinking it said Desi Red too. I am suddenly enlightened...and left feeling incredibly stupid at the same time. Duh. Desired.