Saturday, June 24, 2006

potent potables

I have a strong affection for overstock.com - much as I do for Costco and kittens. I am lying about the kittens.

A recent e-mail from Overstock touted some items that were placed on clearance (Clearance from a clearance warehouse - does the fun never end??). Anyway, I couldn't make this up if I tried. For $105.35 (67% off the list price of $319.90), you too can own:

'The Ex' 5-piece SS Knife Set with Unique Cathartic Holder (bulk pack of 2)
STORE YOUR KNIVES IN AN ANONYMOUS EFFIGY DEDICATED TO WHOMEVER YOU PLEASE!

Makes a perfect gift and a guaranteed conversation piece. Take out your frustrations as you store your knives! Got an Ex? Get 'The Ex'!


There are almost no words for how sick and amusing this piece is. My question is, who is the buyer at Overstock.com who thought that this would actually be a solid sales item?

*~*~

Subzi Mandi. Subzi means vegetables, and Mandi means 'bazaar.' Or 'bajaar', if you're sticklers for the more representative pronounciation.

Anyway, Subzi Mandi is the name of an Indian grocery store. The other day, I noticed a plastic bag from Subzi Mandi in my kitchen - my mother was using it to collect some papers for recycling. I had never noticed before, but was highly amused by the slogan for the store which was emblazoned on the bag:


LADIES' FIRST CHOICE

I love that there are no qualms about political correctness in the world of Indian grocery store marketing. Ladies cook, while men sit around the house with their belts loosened eating paan. Let's not beat around the bush. Ladies Luv Subzi Mandi.

Um, that's all I've got. That, and the fact that we had six relatives from India descend upon our house like a tornado this past week. They left to go to Niagara Falls. What is it with visitors from India and Niagara Falls? Just like GERMANS LOVE DAVID HASSELHOFF, I have decided that INDIANS LOVE NIAGARA FALLS. It's quite disturbing.

No comments: